Saturday, January 30, 2010

Rod's Letter to SBC


Subject: Haiti trip

Dear Friends,

Tuesday afternoon at 4pm I received a call from Craig Culbreth Director of the Partnership Missions Department of the Florida Baptist Convention. He was on his way back from an assessment trip to Haiti to see what Florida Baptist can do to help in this time of need. Right now medical teams are an urgent need. He has a team of nine doctors and nurses from First Baptist Church Jacksonville who will be going down next Wednesday the 3rd to return the following week on Thursday the 11th. There will also be a chaplain, a journalist and a photographer from the State Convention going as well. The team will fly into the capital of the Dominican Republic on Wednesday and drive to Port au Prince, Haiti the next day to do non-life threatening medical work and treat people for trauma of all kinds. The State Convention always sends a volunteer coordinator with these groups. Craig ask me to be that leader. There will be 3 other medical teams coming in from different state conventions that will need leadership. Craig also ask if Donna could go since she is a nurse and speaks better French than I do. Venice Hospital is letting her off work to go with their blessings.

Since the earthquake two weeks ago Haiti has been heavy on my heart. I had gone down there 4 time before coming to Sarasota Baptist Church and 3 times since I started working on staff. I have led many to Christ and have many friends in four different cities there. Yesterday Pastor Mike and Chad gave me the go ahead to go so Donna and I will go. Bless them. Many people in the church have ask me why I wasn’t already down there. The answer is of course “God’s timing.” Donna and I go representing all of Sarasota Baptist Church, Florida Baptist, Venice Hospital and our families.

Please pray for us during this time.



I love being a pastor and missions leader at SBC.



Rod

No comments: